Thursday, January 17, 2008

Substitute Teacher

Yesterday I had a substitute teacher, Ada Raquel (pictured here), because Belkis, my teacher, had to make another trip to Tegucigalpa. For class Ada Raquel and I took a field trip starting at the bus station where I purchased my tickets to/from Copan for this weekend. Then we walked to the Museo de Arqueologia e Historia de San Pedro Sula, the Roman Catholic Cathedral and San Pedro Sula's Parque Central. Our conversations were almost completely in Spanish!


The Museum was very interesting, and I especially liked learning about the history of the Mayan people and seeing their amazing pottery. I will learn more about their culture while in Copan this weekend. The Cathedral was beautiful, especially the paintings of the saints in the Dome.

Unfortunately my camera battery died so I did not get photos of the Parque. The Parque has some beautiful sculptures and fountains so I hope to visit it again so I can take pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Copan is great. Where are you staying? Are you traveling with anyone?

Lauralew said...

Wow Beth! How cool to be able to converse in another language. You are in places I've not really thought about since World History back in undergrad. Thanks for the photos.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Oh, you're getting so good at your Spanish! I haven't done squat with my homework assignments - I dread where I will be next semester. It sounds like you've really settled into to life there. Blessings - I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Love and hugs-
MaryT