Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mi Maestra

This is Belkis, my teacher, mi maestra. Belkis has been at OLR for 4 years as a teacher and tia' (aunt to the girls). She is very nice, patient and funny!

I am really enjoying my classes with her. She covers a lot of material in 4 hours, even though she is moving at my pace. Today, for instance, we started with regular verbs and covered 'ar', 'er', and 'ir' verbs. She probably wrote the congugations on the board for 25 verbs after I said the congugations for each of them. Then I read aloud and completed several exercises in the workbooks she uses. We covered time/frequency words, i.e. siempre - always, todos los diaz - everyday, por poco - nearly, etc. And we did some more exercises in the workbooks.

Then we moved on to interrogatives; more exercises in the workbooks and rounded out the morning with words to describe people - their physical characteristics and their personalities. I have homework (tarea): write a paragraph describing someone I know - their physical traits and their personality and write 10 sentences using verbs I learned today. More later after I finish my homework!

4 comments:

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Sounds like things are going wonderfully! You really will put me to shame in Spanish class, if I can fit it in for second semester. What's the weather like?

-Mary T

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary - I've still got a long way to go to catch up with you in Spanish class! This one-on-one class at my pace it just what I needed, though! The weather here is muggy - a fast downpour this afternoon, temps in the 80s. Hope it cools down so I can turn off the A/C. It's expensive here.

Anonymous said...

How is the food?

Unknown said...

i love your blog and look forward to reading it everyday. i have no doubt you will come back bilingual. enjoy your time there. SBW