Monday, January 21, 2008

Copan: The Adventure! Part II

On Saturday, after spending the morning at Copan Ruinas, I headed back by taxi (see photo in previous post) to Via Via to rest and freshen up a bit. I was debating whether to go on a horseback riding tour to Hacienda San Lucas or to go to Macaw Mountain. Having recently re-read Lauren & Robin's Adventure in Copan (seminary classmates), I opted for Macaw Mountain. It's not that they didn't have a good time, but the soreness that they experienced after horseback riding was more than I wanted to endure! It was an excellent decision for me because Sunday was a very rainy day and walking around was slippery. [And I wasn't feeling 100% due to congestion in my chest that had been coming on for a week or so, not to mention a painful knee, but more on my visit to el Clinica later!]

So, decision made, I headed by taxi to Macaw Mountain. I actually had the same taxi driver who took me to the Copan Ruinas, and he offered to come back to Macaw Mountain in two hours to take me back into town. Nice people in Copan!
Macaw Mountain is a Bird Park and a Nature Reserve. From the Macaw Mountain brochure:

"The park is nestled in a small canyon formed by the Sesemil Creek, that provides water to the town. The park has a collection of Honduran and Central American macaws, toucans and parrots that have been recovered from captivity. All the birds are carefully maintained and can fly freely in large, naturally planted aviaries. The park has a strong eco-educational component with informative tours emphasizing bird habitat, natural history, biology and conservation."

My guide, Kevin, was very knowledgable about the 140 birds in the park. He was very engaging with me and with the birds. It was a thrill to see the birds, hear their stories from Kevin and be able to actually 'pet' the birds! It's a beautiful park and a great place to visit on a very hot day - un muy caliente dia!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures both at the bird place and the ruins. Marla was awfully worried about you going to Copan by yourself!

Anonymous said...

The picture of you with the birds on your shoulders is fantastic! I love it Beth!