Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Home & The Girls

I realize I haven't talked much about the girls here at Our Little Roses. This photo is of the center courtyard of their home. The dormitory style bedrooms and bathrooms as well as the dining room, television room, study room and workshop surround this courtyard. There are approximately 61 girls currently living in the home, and they are between the ages of 4 years to 20 years. There are two houses in the community where older girls live who are attending the university or working.

While I have had meals with the girls and have enjoyed some fun times with them (see Pulhapanzak Falls and A Grand Party) I really have not interacted very much with them. For a few days I did my homework in their study room, but the constant flow of girls in and out and their quarrels about puzzles and games was too distracting for me. And unfortunately they did not seem to welcome my interest in practicing Spanish with them! Not that I blame them. How many language students each year must say to them, "?Como se llama? [What is your name?] Me llamo _____. [My name is ____.]"

It has been interesting to watch the girls and their interactions with one another. There is a real spirit of care and compassion that surrounds this place. The older girls care for the younger girls. And there is a lot of love and protection, not just among the girls but also among the Tias (the employees who live with and care for the girls) as well as the other staff like the cooks, drivers and guards.

The girls have chores in the home and based on a merit system they may receive special privileges at the end of the week or month. There are always girls sweeping and mopping in the home and around the compound. And it is not surprising how much trash can acculmulate, especially considering all of the students, parents, and teachers that come into the compound every day.

The girls have sponsors, people who virtually 'adopt' them and provide financial support for their care. Most girls have more than one sponsor. For more information about sponsoring a girl or to contribute to OLR click here: http://www.ourlittleroses.org/

For me the lasting impression I will take home is the love and generosity that I experienced here, as well as the many, many smiles that reflect God's love for all God's children, including you and me.

















2 comments:

Unknown said...

this marla writing for marcia fisher - marcia wants to know if you will bring back some rocks from honduras? and yes the dogs look related!

bethoc said...

Sure - anything for Marcia!