Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Copan: The Adventure! Part III

The food! I've already mentioned that on Friday night at Via Via I enjoyed a hamburger and fries. Saturday morning, at La Casa de Todo, I had a mozzarella omelet with toasted homemade bread (see photo - Copan Part I)

Saturday night I treated myself to Twisted Tanya's, a very unique and good restaurant in Copan. I selected their 3-course dinner and had homemade mushroom soup (fantastic), tilapia with a unique sauce (the name is laropa, I think) and homemade carrot cake with cafe' con leche. The whole meal with a drink was $21. Extravagant, I know!

Sunday morning I was back at La Casa de Todo where I tried their homemade mango yogurt with granola. It was delicious. I actually spent the morning at La Casa working on my Spanish. I wasn't in the mood to tour and it was raining, so I sat in their garden protected by a roof and watched the rain and a hungry hummingbird while conjugating verbs! It was a great morning!

Fortunately, before boarding the bus I got lunch in the bus terminal. Their special was fried chicken with fries for 50 lempiras - around $2.63. Such a bargain! And it was very good.

Now I know with all this talk about food you may be wondering if I've gone loco - crazy! Well, yes, maybe. You see, I eat with the girls at OLR in their dining room. (see photos below) I'm not used to eating beans and rice with every meal. I'm not used to very tough meat and trying to eat it without a knife. Typically my utensils here are a fork and 2 tortillas. I'm also not used to not eating salads or fruits. I rarely have seen fruit here except for broiled bananas.

So if I sound a little too excited about the food in Copan, it's because they cater to tourists, and I could find food that was more like what I'm used to eating. I am fed well at OLR!




No comments: