Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Winter in South Africa

It is winter in South Africa and while I don't exactly know the temperature I am guessing that at night it goes down to 35 or 40 degrees. Fortunately for the past two days it has been sunny during the day so I have been warm with a light sweater or polartec vest over my turtlneck. At night, however, I use a space heater to stay warm. The first night I did not feel comfortable turning it on, but couldn't sleep because I was cold so for the past two nights I've used the heater for at least part of the night.

This week I am staying at the Diocesan Conference Center - St. Peter's Place. This Diocesan offices are here, but unfortunately I will not meet Bishop Peter John Lee. He is attending the Lambeth Conference. Since I was confused, I will mention that this is a different Bishop Peter J. Lee from Bishop Peter J. Lee of Virginia! The Virginia Bishop's middle name is James, I think.

My accomodations are wonderful. I have a private suite and am currently the only guest here. Sharon, the manager who is also an ordained priest, has been very gracious to allow me to use her computer in the evenings. We've also enjoyed some wonderful conversations. I eat in the dining hall (by myself) and have enjoyed delicious meals. I hope to upload some photos in the next day or two so check back on the posts!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that your travels are going well. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Will miss you at MJ tonight, and hope your foot is healed.