Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bits & Pieces

Today was a day of meetings. Nandi picked me up at 7:30 AM so we could make it to an area HIV/AIDS stakeholder meeting by 9:00 AM. We picked up Sello on the way and arrived by 8:50 AM. Representatives from various governmental agencies, including the Health Department and Social Service Department, as well as NGOs and business (Nestle) were represented. The meeting began 'promptly' at 9:30 AM and ended at 2:00 PM!! The good news is that this type of collaboration and communication is new to South Africa and this monthly meeting has become a model for other jurisdictions. After the meeting finished the hosts served a light lunch.

Tonight at 5:30 PM I attended with Nandi an Executive Counselors Meeting of the Diocese. The meeting started on time and ended by 6:40 PM. Much better than this morning!

I am eager to get back out in the field tomorrow. We are visiting the refugee camp that 'houses' a number of people who have fled from Zimbabwe. It's sure to be an interesting day.

I thought I would share a bit of my experience since I've been staying at the Diocesan Conference Center - St. Peter's Place. I'm currently the only guest and the staff are feeding me like there are three or four people here. The food is delicious and water is always available for a 'spot of tea' or coffee. I've become a tea drinker since arriving in South Africa! I have a lovely private suite with private bath. The bath doesn't have a shower so I use a cup to pour water over my head to wash my hair. It works quite well!

The staff has also been packing lunch for me. The other day we were sharing lunch - Nandi, Sello & I - when I spotted what looked like a peanut butter & jelly 1/4 sandwich. I, a lover of peanut butter, took a bite and immediately realized that the 'jelly' was fish paste! Not wanting to be an ungrateful guest, I continued to chew and swallow and to finish the 1/4 sandwich! There was another 1/4 fish paste sandwich in the lunch which no one else ate, so it was returned in the container. I haven't found another fish paste sandwich in my lunch box!

I have especially enjoyed my early morning visits with the manager of St. Peter's Place. Sharon is an ordained priest, and we've discovered that we have common interests, especially around healing ministry. I have a new author, Mike Endicott, to read when I return home.

Tomorrow at 4:00 PM I will be picked up by another member of the Plunge Committee and will spend the weekend at her home. I will return to the McBrides Sunday night and will be housed with them for rest of the week. I will be spending the days with various clergy and lay people who also serve on the Plunge Committee. I am not sure what we'll be doing next week, but I'm sure I will have experiences to share!

I am most grateful to Nandi and the HIV/AIDS staff for sharing this time with me and allowing me to experience their ministry. I am also grateful to Sharon and the staff at St. Peter's Place. Thank you all for your gracious welcome and hospitality. I hope we meet again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth, You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I was glad to read of your safe arrival. Your experience sounds amazing and intense and life-changing. You will continue in my prayers. I look forward to reading more and to hearing your stories when you get back. Peace and grace to you!