Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Liminal Time

The word 'liminal' is defined as "of, or relating to, an intermediate state, phase, or condition." Synonyms are 'in-between, transitional.' I am in liminal time - a transitional and in-between time.

On May 21st I received a Master of Divinity degree from seminary. It was a wonderful and joyfilled day. Bishop Barbara Harris was our commencement speaker and she, not surprisingly, gave a wonderful address.

This Saturday I will be ordained to the Sacred Order of Deacons in the Episcopal Church. I am eager to begin my formal ordained ministry and look forward to the Holy Spirit's movement on Saturday!

However, for the moment, I am in liminal time. I suppose, given the stress of finishing three years of graduate education or seminary, which included a full summer of hospital chaplaincy, a three-week immersion in Honduras to learn Spanish, and an immersion in South Africa last summer, that I should not be surprised that during this liminal time my body decided it could afford to get a bad cold because it needed rest. So during this liminal time I am resting, staying at home, drinking lots of fluids and trying to get rid of this cold.

1 comment:

Lauralew said...

Prayers for you, dear Sister. Listen to your body's wisdom.